Research & Publications
Ourston's research and publication of case studies and technical reports feeds our design practice. We continue to monitor dozens of our designs to improve our design heuristics.
- LENTERS, M; WEBER, P. "Synthesis of North American Roundabout Practice", Transportation Association of Canada, 2009
- GINGRICH, M; LENTERS, M; WADDELL, E. "Trucks in Roundabouts: Pitfalls in Design and Operations", ITE Journal, Feb. 2009
- WEBER, P. “Roundabout Signs”, ITE Informational Report on Roundabouts, 2009
- LENTERS, M.S. “High Speed Approaches At Roundabouts”. For RTE Engineering, 2005.
- LENTERS, M; KUHLOW, K. “Evaluation of Alternative Traffic Controls.” Department of Transportation of Wisconsin, June 2005. This report was prepared for D.O.T. of Wisconsin to evaluate alternative traffic controls for STH 28 (Washington Avenue) from County Trunk Highway ‘A’ to Greenwing Drive.
- WEBER, P.; RITCHIE, S. “Internationally Recognized Roundabout Signs” May 2005. Paper for the Transportation Research Board, National Roundabout Conference, Vail, Colorado, May 22-25, 2005.
- LENTERS, M.S. “Safety Auditing Roundabouts”. Annual Conference of the Transportation Association of Canada, Québec City, Québec. 2004.
- LENTERS, M; WEBER, P. “Roundabout Feasibility Study: Britton Parkway, City of Hilliard, Ohio.” December 2004.
- LENTERS, M.S. “Roundabout Planning and Design for Efficiency & Safety”. Annual Conference of The Transportation Association of Canada, St. John’s Newfoundland and Labrador. 2003.
- OURSTON, L. “Roundabout Design Guidelines”. Ourston Roundabout Engineering, 2001.
- OURSTON, L. “Roundabouts: An Informational Guide”. FHWA-RD-00-067, June 2000. Mr. Ourston contributed his expertise as a technical editor of this document.
- OURSTON, L.; BURNSIDE, J. "The Option of Roundabout Interchanges". WesternITE. May 2000.
- OURSTON, L. "Where to Build Roundabouts". Presented to an International Meeting on Roundabouts, ITE, Loveland, CO, October 1998.
- OURSTON, L.; HALL G.A. “Roundabout Increase Interchange Capacity.” ITE Journal. December 1997.
- OURSTON, L.; HALL, G.A. "Modern Roundabout Interchanges Come to America". Leif Ourston, Presented to ITE 66th annual meeting in Minneapolis, MN, September 1996. Gregory A. Hall, co-author.
- OURSTON, L. "America's First Modern Roundabout Interchange". Leif Ourston, Presented to the 66th annual meeting of ITE in Denver, CO. August 1995.
- OURSTON, L.; BARED, J.G. "Roundabouts: A Direct Way to Highway Safety". Public Roads, Autumn 1995. Co-authored with Joe G. Bared of the Federal Highway Administration. This was a synthesis, and its original title when submitted in May of 1995 was "Synthesis of Recent Research on Highway Safety"
- OURSTON, L. "Nonconforming Traffic Circle Becomes Modern Roundabout". Presented to ITE 64th annual meeting, in Dallas, TX, October 1994.
- OURSTON, L. “Wide Nodes and Narrow Roads". Paper presented to the Transportation Research Board, 72nd annual meeting in Washington, DC, January 1993.
- OURSTON, L. "Roundabout Revolution Comes to America". Leif Ourston, Western ITE, November-December 1992.
- OURSTON, L. "British Interchanges, Intersections, and Traffic Control Devices". Leif Ourston, WesternITE, 1987.
- OURSTON, L. "British-style Roundabout or American-style Traffic Circle". WesternITE, December 1987.
Video DVD's and Cassettes
- "Roundabout Medley." Produced in 2002.
- "I-70/Vail Road." Produced with the help of Peter Doctors in 1995.
- "Snow at Roundabouts." Produced for the Town of Vail with the help of Ragnvald Sagen, 1995.
- "Nonconforming Traffic Circle Becomes Modern Roundabout." Produced for the California Department of Transportation, December 1995.
- "Modern Roundabouts." Script co-authored with Ed Myers for the Maryland State Highway Administration, 1992.